Elf on a Shelf



If you have little ones in your life you have most likely heard of the book Elf on a Shelf. It describes how the elf in the house is watching the children for Santa so that he can provide a naughty and nice report. He moves from place to place and room to room so that he can supply a comprehensive list to the jolly old man about the behavior of the children.

The elf is not the only one who is watching our conduct. God doesn't need to send out His helpers to see what we are doing. He already knows it; in fact He’s not just acquainted with our actions but our thoughts. This should make a difference in the way we live, but does it?

Just because my grandchildren might think that an elf is watching their every move during the holiday season, it doesn't always affect their choices. Neither does the fact that God is watching me always influence my actions and reactions.

What does this say about me? Does it say I really don't believe that an almighty, all powerful God cares about my thoughts and actions--that He is just a Santa Claus type of person who will just wink at my disobedience and still shower me with blessings? 

I don’t want that to be the case. I want be aware of His knowledge of my words and deeds; but not only that I want to be brokenhearted when I do something that disappoints Him. It’s not because it affects my salvation since that is secure due to His mercy and grace, but because it breaks my fellowship and communion with Him.

Psalm 139:1-3
O Lord, you have searched me
    and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
 
www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!