Flowerless Flower


My friend Nancy gave me an amaryllis bulb to plant right after Christmas, so that I would have a beautiful flower for Valentine’s Day. I have grown them in the past and was looking forward to having the beautiful blossom during the winter months to bring some cheer indoors. The bulb was planted according to the instructions, was placed in a sunny spot and was watered faithfully.

After just a few days, the green tip began growing. Nancy and I would compare notes on how tall our plant was getting, but I soon noticed that I had nice long green leaves, but nothing was growing in the center of the plant where the flower should be forming. I kept watering and turning it so that it would get plenty of light. I even tried talking to it, but no flower ever formed. 

Now I have a pretty plant with green leaves, but if you gaze deep into the plant you know that no matter what kind of care the plant is given there will not be a flower—at least not this year. What prevented the flower from developing? Since I’m not a horticulturist I don’t know.

What prevents the flowers from developing in our own lives? Could it be lack of watering from God’s Word? Could it be lack of God’s light shining into our hearts? Could it be lack of fellowship with the Creator? Could it be lack of companionship with other Christians? Could it be dryness in our prayer life? It could be any of those things or something entirely different. I’m willing to do my part in the development of flowers, but I will also have to leave the ultimate responsibility of the flowers in my life up to God, the One who made me. There might not be a flower every season, but at the right time it will bloom.

Isaiah 61:11 For as the earth bursts with spring wildflowers,
   and as a garden cascades with blossoms,
So the Master, God, brings righteousness into full bloom
   and puts praise on display before the nations. (The Message)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!