Are You Worth Imitating?


Today when I was on the rowing machine at the gym in hopes of strengthening my legs in case I decide to go out and take a few turns on the slopes and trying to get rid of the flabbiness on my upper arms, I noticed a young tyke about 5 years old. As he and his father walked past me rowing away, the young boy began laughing. 

Did he think I was funny? Did I row to slow? Was my form amusing? I found out the reason for his laughter a few minutes later when I saw the little guy on the rowing machine himself. He thought it looked like fun and he wanted to imitate what he had seen me doing. 

Often times we fail to realize that what others see us doing affects their choices. A couple of incidents that I recall reinforce this thought. Many years ago my husband and I went to a movie as we often do on Friday evenings. As we were walking into the theatre a friend from Bible study was walking out. She said, “I won’t tell anyone I saw you here if you won’t tell that you saw me.” I didn’t understand her statement until I was in the movie and realized that it was not something I should be watching. I hoped no one else had seen me there and began being much more cautious about what I went to see. 

My mother tells the story about being at a convention with my dad many years ago when the group went into a bar, which made my mother very uncomfortable. The feeling escalated when she saw a young girl from her church. And was even worse when the girl’s mother informed her that her daughter had told her about the incident, saying, “I was wondering if I was making the right choice by being in the bar, until I saw Miss Sadie and I figured that if she was there it must be all right.” My mother was devastated. She didn’t want to lead anyone astray with her actions. 

The Bible tells us that we should not imitate the ways of the detestable people who are not following God’s ways. It also says that we should imitate the leaders of the faith and the good that they do.

I want to be someone who is worthy of imitating, not just on the rowing machine, but in life. How about you?

3 John 1:11 Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God. Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God.

Comments

NNM said…
Olga, not only are you an example to be imitated but you are inspirational as well.
NNM said…
Olga, not only are you an example to be imitated but you are inspirational as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!