The Heavenly Conversation


I used to wonder and imagine what the conversation would have been like in heaven before Jesus was sent to earth by His Father.
Would it have sounded something like this in the glorious throne room of the ruler of the universe?

The Father asked Jesus, “How would you feel about doing something for me?”
Jesus would have responded quickly, “Of course dad. You know I would do anything for you. What do you need?”

The Father hesitated for just a moment before answering and then asked: “Would you go down to earth on a mission for me?”
At that point, Jesus might have questioned what type of mission.

“Well,” explained the Father, “those humans that we created need some help and you are the only one who can do it. You see, I need for you to go down to earth as a baby, born to a poor family who love me. They will raise you in a good home and then when you are grown you will teach others about me.”
Was Jesus surprised that he was expected to go to leave heaven for such a long time? After all there he was important being worshipped and served by angels.
God the Father might have continued the conversation by saying that lives would be changed, miracles performed, lessons taught and that in the end Jesus would be killed even though He lived a perfect life.
 
Now of course this was only a pretend conversation, because from the time of creation, Jesus knew what He would eventually be sent to earth to do.

This year, I discovered what the real conversation in Heaven was like. It’s actually recorded in Hebrews 10:5-8
Therefore, when Christ came into the world, He said:

“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
    but a body you prepared for me;
with burnt offerings and sin offerings
    you were not pleased.
Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—
    I have come to do your will, my God.'"
 
There were three main things Jesus said in this dialogue:

  1. The old sacrificial system was not what His Father wanted, they just weren’t pleasing to Him.
  2. God prepared a body for Jesus’ journey to planet earth. It was a perfect body and would make the perfect sacrifice to pay for our sins.
  3. Jesus was prepared to do the will of His Father, whatever it took, from leaving heaven to take on a human body, to live the perfect sinless life and to ultimately obey to the point of death on a cross.
So it's evident, my conversation was way off the mark. Jesus knew His destiny and He was prepared for complete the mission, no questions asked. 

If Jesus had chosen not to come there would be no gifts, no trees, no lights. There would be no fights over placing nativity scenes in public places, or questions about the political correctness of saying Merry Christmas. There would be no Christmas celebrations at all.

But He did willingly come to earth so we can go to heaven, not because of anything that we can do, but because of what He has already done. You see, the story of Christmas is also the story of Easter, the Good News, the message of grace.

Merry Christmas!
www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!