NO



A year or two ago, my granddaughter Molly's favorite word seemed to be NO. You would ask her just about anything and the answer was probably going to be no. It might be said in different ways, such as an emphatic NO. Or sometimes it was a whiny no. And oftentimes it was a musical noooooo.

Whenever she was in that kind of mood, I would laughingly tell her that no must be her favorite word and that would always get a no answer. One morning I suggested that we count how many times she said the word in a day. We didn't have to count long, only about ten minutes to count 14. One, two, three....fourteen in only ten minutes. We both laughed as the number grew.

The conversation would go a bit like this. Molly lets get dressed for school. No.  Do you want to wear pants or a skirt? No. Would you like a snack to take to school? No.

Answering with the word no had become a habit for Molly. She didn't always mean it, but it was her way of expressing independence. I'm glad she has grown out of that phase, but some people stay in that mode.

We tell God no when we don't obey Him. We tell Him no when we don't spend time with Him. And we tell Him no when we make our own plans instead of seeking His.

After my experience with Molly's no phase I don't want that to be the way God views me. Instead I want to be His “yes man.” I want to be ready for whatever He has in store for me and be excited to be a part of it. Do you?

Psalm 27:14 Wait for the Lord;
Be strong and let your heart take courage;
Yes, wait for the Lord.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!