Strangers, Yet Sisters



It had been one of those days where you just want to run away, hop in the car and go anywhere except where you are destined. My day started with tears then came the prayer, followed by flight cancellations and over seven hours of just waiting to see if I might be able to get on a flight. Originally I had been bound for home, through DFW and then on to Eagle, so how come I ended up going to Houston and wouldn't be arriving home until the next night? Perhaps it was a divine appointment.

As I entered the Southwest plane, the only seats available were in between the window and aisle seats, so I gazed quickly through the plane, sent up an arrow prayer before selecting my seat mates for the hour long flight.

I recognized another lady from the waiting area who had also been there most of the day. On the same row was a small black woman eating a candy cane who donned a small gold cross. I asked if I might sit with them. They were polite in their response, but what else were they supposed to do...since they really couldn't tell me no.

As I sat I leaned over to the lady with the cross and told her that her necklace was the reason I had chosen the seat. She smiled in return and then I proceeded to tell her that I thought she had a story to tell me and she said, "Maybe."

We exchanged names; one was Becky and the other Bronice. We told of our experiences of the day and because of my diversion to Houston, Bronice asked if I needed a place to stay for the night, offering to open her home to me since she lived alone and had two bedrooms. Who would have thought a complete stranger would make an offer like that? Many people I know wouldn't even offer to let me stay at their house, but here a sister in Christ was willing. And I would have loved it, but my daughter might have been a bit upset if I hadn't stayed with her.

After a few minutes of silence my new friend quietly informed me that she did indeed have a story to tell. She had survived Hurricane Katrina. She continued to provide me with information of the devastation, but more importantly she told of the grace of God and how He had care for her during that most difficult time.

One of her most vivid memories was being on the bridge overpass where she was stuck for days, waiting for help and the basic necessities of food and water.  Bronice said that she had walked back and forth across the bridge praying and praising, praying and praising, praying and praising. Most of her prayers were for God's grace to reign down and God's protection for her health. After all, she had been walking through filthy water with dead bodies floating in it. 

Both prayers were answered. She confessed that she didn't comprehend the magnitude of the flooding until she had arrived at DFW airport and saw the TV monitors with pictures of what she had survived. It was then that she broke down and cried and cried. Her life would never be the same. God had proven His goodness, had protected her body and provided for her every need.

Yes, Bronice had a story to tell and she was a better person for having endured trusting the Lord through it all.


We praise you, God,

We praise you because your name is near;

People tell of your wonderful deeds. Psalm 75:1

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!