Food Stamps



My friend Janet shared the following story with me and I thought it might bring encouragement to you all to see her faith in action.

Janet wrote:

I’ve never told you before probably because of embarrassment, but my mom gets food stamps each month.  At first I was ashamed to use the card they gave her; I felt less than having to use them but I got over it knowing that I have to feed my mom according to her special diet. It is a way that God has provided for us during this difficult time.

Last week I had to interview again for my mom so she could continue getting the money for food. In the past she has always had the money placed on the card on the first day of the month. I assumed it would stay the same after the interview, so on Saturday I called to make sure that the money was there before I went to the store. She used to get $89.00 a month so that is what we were anticipating however when I called the recording said she got $1.00 for the month. I couldn't believe what I had just heard so I called back to make sure I heard correctly and was provided with the same information.
 
When I told my mom how much she got, she started to get worried and upset. Our roommate, Mary, was mad and told me that I should call them and yell and curse at them. At that moment, all I could do was stand there looking at the two of them. My mom was scared, wondering how are we going to eat if we couldn’t buy food.

I replied joking with my mom, “We are Mexican we can live on rice and beans; it will be fine.” 

Mary said, “That's not funny” and continued to insist that I call them on Monday and give them a piece of my mind. 

I looked at her and said, “NO I will not, what I will do is say thank you Lord for this $1.00 it is an extra $1.00 that I didn't have. I don't know how but I do know I trust you enough not to worry about how we will eat or get the kind of food my mom has to have. Thank you Lord.”
 
Mary got up and said, “Oh my, I can't believe you.”

I said, “I have faith.”

On Tuesday morning my mom needed the milk she has to drink so I called to see what was on the card just checking to see if anything had changed and miraculously there was now $200.00 on her food stamp card. I was so happy and said, “Thank you Lord for always taking care of us.”
 
Before picking my mom up at dialysis I went to the store to buy food. Arriving at home Mary was up and asked how I bought all of the food and I replied, “Well that $1.00 you where mad about, God made it go a long way and there is still more to spend.”

She said, “What?”

I answered, “Mary this is why we have to trust God and have faith in Him that He will take care of us, because if we keep trying to do it on our own we won't get very far.” 

It showed me that if we have faith and are thankful God will bless us even more.  

Thank you Lord for Janet’s faith and the provision You gave to my friend and her mother.

Psalm 68:10 Your people settled in it, and from your bounty, God, you provided for the poor.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!