Leftovers and Love


It was a simple cardboard box on the top shelf of the refrigerator. The familiar white box with the red dragon on the side was often in our refrigerator signaling leftovers from Henry's the local Chinese food restaurant that we frequent. I thought that I had finished off the takeout food before leaving on my trip several days before knowing that it would be “iffy” to eat them when I returned. But since I was hungry, I assumed they probably wouldn't kill me.

Reaching toward the top shelf, something was different; the box was larger than normal and wasn't filled completely. Unlocking the top and peering in I realized that this was not from our recent visit to the local spot.

Apparently my husband had visited Henry and crew in my absence. The amazing thing is that my husband doesn't eat leftovers. He had brought the Mongolian Beef home especially for me. The real surprise was that he had packaged them exactly like I would have done it--rice on the bottom, meat, veggies and sauce, topped with just the right amount of soy sauce. For some people that might seem normal, but my husband usually doesn't pay attention to that type of details. It made me feel special that in my time away he cared enough to think about me and how I would have prepared the boxed treat. (Can you tell that my love language is acts of service?)

Isn't that what God is like? He thinks about the details of our life and what we like, what brings us pleasure and not just what we need. God places things all around us as surprises. Sometimes it might be a beautiful flower pushing up through the hard dirt, others times it might be a radiant colorful sunset or occasionally a rainbow promise after a storm or even the smell of a rose that has opened its petals to share the fragrance with anyone who takes the time to stop for a moment and grab a whiff. God's goodness and bounty can never be exhausted. It can be found everywhere around us especially in the unexpected moments.

Yes my husband enjoys pleasing me, but how much greater is my Father’s love for me and He knows exactly how to express it so I will feel cherished. 

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!