Lesson from a Lacrosse Player

Every summer in June and July kids from across the country converge in our area for the Vail Valley Lacrosse Shootout. There are games going on morning, noon and afternoon on every field from Vail to Edwards. Parents, friends and siblings cheer for their favorite teams. And there is a flurry of activity in grocery stores, the local Wal-Mart and especially restaurants.

In our new Qdoba there was a group of handsome young men who were part of the Shootout. My husband Tom was seated outside when the boys exited the restaurant with their food. One of the lacrosse players was angry because Qdoba had run out of sour cream and was causing a ruckus, using foul language. My husband who was seated at a nearby table knew that I would not appreciate the language, so he politely walked over to their table and asked them to clean up their conversation when I came outside. 

After a few minutes of being seated one of the players walked over to our table and apologized for the poor behavior of his teammates. Since I had not been privy to their previous outburst nor my husband’s request, I was baffled by the apology. He quickly filled me in on what had happened before my arrival and again expressed his regret for their behavior. 

When he left, I thought that someone had done a good job of teaching him right from wrong, respect for others and how to stand up and be a man in a difficult situation. I also thought maybe he was a Christian and knew that his friend’s behavior was inappropriate. It made me feel good that a young man probably in his teens or early twenties would take a stand and make the right choice to be an example to his friends. He came over a second time during our meal to make amends, so I knew that he had been truly bothered by the situation.

Before the young men left, I even heard him telling his teammate that he should apologize to us for the unsuitable outburst. The culprit tried to explain away his behavior by blaming it on his friends, saying that they were the ones who had been wrong and had caused him to use the foul words and that he saw no wrong doing on his part. However, as they got up to leave, the offender hesitated, lingered, walked back into the restaurant and then back out by our table and swiftly yet quietly said he was sorry as if trying not to let his teammates know what he was doing.

This event was encouraging to me. First, my husband stood up for me, so that I didn’t have to endure inappropriate language and second, a young athlete stood up for what was right in front of His peers. I too want to be the one who takes a stand for the right things. I don’t want to be one who only watches and wishes that I was strong enough, but the one who stands firm in times of opposition.

1 Corinthians 16:13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!