Freedom


You can tell it's the Fourth of July. The tourists have arrived in our resort town. The grocery stores are filled with people and empty of necessities. The bike paths are crowded with group after group of novice riders. People are lost in the round-abouts, unsure of which lane to use. And there is red, white and blue everywhere. It’s my favorite time of year in the Vail Valley. 

Freedom in our country came at a great price to many who have gone before us, but we tend to take it for granted. Those who left their homeland in order to come to an unknown place full of danger and hardship often died an early death due to illness or other causes, but they felt it was worth it to have freedom to be able to worship God in the way that they knew was right. 

There were also young men who risked their lives during the war for independence and other wars though out the years, so that today you and I can enjoy the luxury of being able to join together on a Sunday morning or a Wednesday night or any other time to sing praises, to study the Bible and to simply have fellowship with others who believe as we do without fear of being discovered. 

So on this Fourth of July I am thankful for those who went before and have made the sacrifices for me. I am thankful for this country even with its faults; I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. But on this day I am most thankful for the One who made the ultimate sacrifice for my freedom—Jesus Christ. He died, so that I might be free from the guilt and shame of sin and in doing so made it possible for me to have the freedom to enter into the presence of God. 

Happy Independence Day!

Ephesians 3:12 In him and through faith in him (Jesus) we may approach God with freedom and confidence.

Comments

Margaret said…
I agree Mom...Vail on the 4th is so fun and patriotic! Thankful for our freedom in Christ and that we get to be up here with y'all too.

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!