Are You Dead?


As I left for my morning hike, my husband interjected, "Watch out for the mountain lions." Now that thought had not crossed my mind-bears yes, mountain lions no. Midway up the mountain something caught my eye, not a moving living creature, but a carcass. It was not a fresh recent kill, but had been there for at least one winter. 

The dry bones reminded me of a recent conversation with a friend who had confided that she felt dead inside. I don't think she is alone. There are probably many who feel that way, but are just not honest and open enough to admit it. The feeling of death may come from a loss, depression, failure, fear or a plethora of other things, but it is a real feeling. What can be done about it?

The thoughts in my mind led me to the passage in Ezekiel 37 where God guides the prophet to a valley filled with dry bones. Through the series of conversations and actions between Ezekiel and God the bones came together and tendons, flesh and skin appeared on them. And then the breath of God entered them and they came to life.

This was a prophecy about the nation of Israel, but I believe that God wants to bring all of His people back to life. In the previous chapter Ezekiel 36:26-27 God says I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

If God can take a dead body and raise it up, He can surely bring about new life in a living body. Keep seeking Him, obeying him, praying to Him, searching His word and one day at a time He will begin the process of healing and restoration.

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!