Headshots


It was time for everyone in our office to get new headshots. A new website was being developed and they wanted consistent photographs for the team—the others had been random shots. One outside in a tank top, one in a studio, another in winter…you get the picture, they just didn’t go together.

Our local photographer was called in to do the job. The morning of the shoot there were lots of complaints. I hate to have my picture taken and I like my old headshot were common themes, but the real complaints weren’t voiced until the pictures were snapped.

  • I look fat.
  • My hair looks bad.
  • Can you get rid of my wrinkles?
  • Will you Photoshop my gray?
  • Will you take another? And another? And yet another?
  • I like my old headshot better.

The poor photographer was just doing his job, but he took much abuse for the hour long session. We laughingly said it must be much easier to do an on-mountain shoot with skiers who don’t care nearly so much about the way they look.

When my turn came, the shutter snapped and he showed me the picture. I could have easily complained about my hair or my size or any number of other things, but instead I had learned from watching the others and said, “Well it looks like me, so I guess it is fine.”

He grinned and said it’s nice that you are comfortable with who you are.

It has not always been that way; years earlier I too would have joined in on the whining and demanded a different picture, but over the years I have come to realize that there are many things that are more important than wasting my time on my looks.

God has created me just the way I am and when I express dissatisfaction about my looks it is telling God that He made a mistake and that is not true.

Psalm 139:14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
 
www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!