The Least of These


It had been cold, gray and snowy all week. That’s the reason the homeless man had been sleeping on either the bench or the sofa in the lobby of my office building for the past 3 nights.

It is a rare occasion due to the harsh winter elements in our small mountain community that we encounter anyone who is really homeless. Oh yes, we might see an occasional person who is just passing through, but not someone who lives here. That’s why my co-worker and true humanitarian, Wendy, was terribly disturbed when she discovered his situation.
When she came to me to see what kind of input I might have to rectify the situation, I was reminded of the Bible study lesson earlier in the week, where the leader asked us where we might be able to serve Jesus in an illogical way.

Was this my opportunity? If so, I didn’t want to miss it.
A quick call was made to church to see if our office manager might be able to give us some suggestions. Her advice was to find out if he had any plans before moving forward with trying to help him.

When we approached him in the lobby he was sitting in front of the fireplace and he said, “I just want to stay warm.” How heartbreaking those words sound when you have a nice warm office, a nice warm home and a nice warm bed each and every day!
After a couple of conversations with Javier from Mexico, we were happy to find out that he did indeed have a plan. If he could only get to Kansas City, he had family, friends and a job waiting for him. One phone call to Wendy’s friend at the Salvation Army and another to a friend of mine at the local police station warranted a bus ticket and one night’s lodging at The Vail Chapel.

The homeless man would be on his way to a new beginning at 5AM the next day when the bus rolled through town.
It had only taken a few minutes of our time, but it made a huge difference in the life of a man who had been homeless and felt hopeless just hours before.

Jesus tells us that when we do things for others, it I the same as doing it for Him. So my prayer is, “Lord help me to see those in need around me and help me to care for them in the way that I should treat You if You were in my path today.”
Matthew 25:40 The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!