Haunting Memory


The memories are the only thing left of the 2015 World Alpine Championships. During the 2 weeks of the competition our community was invaded by the world with over 70 different countries from the typical ski nations of Austria, Norway, and Sweden to the unusual such as Haiti and Israel.

The buzz in the air with languages from many different countries and the festivities that took over 5 years to plan were exciting. Free concerts both in Vail and Avon, with enhanced transportation throughout the Valley and daily races made the events accessible to all.

The weather cooperated and was beautiful with mainly blue sky days and milder temperatures.

With all of the hoopla around town, my favorite part was of course the people. The very young to the very old and everyone in between were my targets. From the child with ice cream coated face, to the young kid who purposely came up and thanked me for volunteering, to the man who had been around since the beginning of Vail all added flair and interest to my quest for meeting people.

However there was one person who captivated my attention and has continued to haunt me. He was a former businessman who had spent almost 20 years working for the same company, but was laid off and God has now placed him in the Nashville music scene, playing in bars which has given him an unusual outlet for sharing the message of salvation.

It’s not his story that disturbs me, but one particular sentence that he said to me—“As beautiful as this place is, I sense a darkness in the people here.” He continued by saying that the looks on the faces revealed to him that there were many people who were spiritually lost.

The interesting thing is that it didn’t take him very long to see that truth. Most people who come to this area come for their own selfish pleasure and not because God has directed them here. And about 90% will never enter the doors of an organized church service.

What can I do to help dispel the darkness that seems so overwhelming? Well first of all I can’t do anything, but God can. And I can be a willing vessel allowing Him to shine in my life in my little area.

Online different sources say that the human eye can detect the flame of a candle over one mile away. So the way I figure it, if I let my little light shine brightly for the Lord, some people in this dark place will see it and want to know more about it. So, this little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine…..

John 8:12 Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”
www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!