Cashews and Keys


Practice hospitality...that's what the morning sermon had been about. The pastor had encouraged all of us to invite others into our homes for food and fellowship. It's something I enjoy, but wasn't expecting to be able to do it in the unplanned way.

My mentoring session was finished much earlier than expected freeing up some additional time, so I stopped in at Walgreens to check on a product, however I quickly discovered that they didn't have what I was looking for. Since I was already there I decided to see if there were any specials in the flyer and discovered that they had a bargain on cashews, less than half price. So I purchased a couple of bags and headed to my car. Once inside the car, I found that one of the bags had a small hole in it and was concerned that they might be stale due to the opening. I would return them and then be on my way, or so I thought. God had other plans.

An older lady standing next to her car shouted to me that she had locked her keys in the car. It was matter of fact and she didn't ask for help, but I felt compelled to offer to take her to get another set. At first she refused the offer saying that she would have someone come and get her, but I was right there and insisted on taking her home.

During the ten minute drive I explained that I was only doing what I would want someone to do for me and that it is also what Jesus would do. I also told her about the sermon and realized that even though we weren't in my home sharing a meal, I was still extending hospitality.

In the ensuing moments I learned that her husband had died, she had no family in the area and she was looking for a church. By the time we returned to the store it seemed like we were old friends and she was praising God for putting me there to assist her.

Hospitality doesn’t have to be  only in the home, but can be practiced anywhere. Where have you served someone lately?

Romans 12:13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!