Those Were the Days

This time of year always brings back fond memories of days gone by. When the kids were all little, my friend, Susan and I would pack up all of the kids in her suburban and hit the road. With the car pointed northwest, we would head for the hills, to get away from the oppressive temperatures of Texas, to have some rest and relaxation and also just to have fun. Susan is the type to find out all of the great things to do in a particular area so she always had surprises for us along the way. Whether it was visiting the cave dwelling Indians, viewing the exquisite Royal Gorge, seeing plays at the Palo Duro Canyon or taking the out of the way nooks and crannies , we always had a blast—or so it seems now.

Looking back, I long for those carefree days of summer on the open road. I even miss the kids yelling in the back of the car, the spilt Dairy Queen Blizzards, kids falling out of the raft into the rushing river and mysterious rocks flying through the air landing on other’s heads. I can even laugh at being stopped by the state patrol after being gone for over 3 weeks and pleading my case with the officer with pony tails sticking out all over my head designed by one of the kids. Why is it that when we look back on past memories they seem to look different than when we were actually experiencing them first hand?


I guess that is enough reminiscing for today, because there are new memories to be made. I wonder what will happen this summer that I will view fondly in years to come. When you are walking with the Lord, you never know what adventure is around the next corner, but I am looking forward to it with the expectation of having more tales to tell.

Jeremiah 7:23 But I (God) gave them this command: Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in all the ways I command you, that it may go well with you.

hearthope.org

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yay cliff dwellings, Royal Gorge and spilt Dairy Queen Blizzards (that was funny). Boo rock in the back of the head (that is not so funny). :)

Oh, and you forgot the "pretend police"-- remember the siren we kids used to make you think you were getting pulled over? again...

Ahem, and the multiple pony tails I believe was called the "tornado hairstyle" I think it was a 'do created before it's time and has yet to receive the appreciation it one day will receive.

Thank you, Olga, for the descriptive reminders of the fun summers we had going to Colorado. Love you!

-Once a kid

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!