Independence Day

July 4th is one of my favorite holidays--I can’t wait to see the parade, eat some barbeque, and watch the fireworks. Our forefathers fought for and gave us a gift that we don’t often stop and think about, but take for granted. I think they would be surprised if they were able to see our country today. Their desire was to give us freedom from all of the burdens and abuses that were harsh, domineering, tyrannical, and unjust that they suffered under the ruling hand of England. What they did was admirable, and courageous, but it was not a new concept.

God had said long ago that He wanted us to be free—free from the burdens of sin and the chains that it puts on us. So if He has set me free, why would I choose to be bound again to sin? Today while I am eating potato salad, waving my flag, singing along with the marching bands, I hope I will remember to be thankful for the freedom that we have in America, but also the freedom that we can have in Christ.

Galatians 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!