Waiting


Volleyball by the Lake
It was a beautiful afternoon for all kinds of outdoors activities--bike riding, hiking, playing sand volleyball. The only problem was that as I rode past the volleyball court the game was at a standstill. Three of the players were standing in anticipation of playing the game while the fourth was talking on his cell phone. 

I wondered what might be so important that one player would stop the game to talk on his cell phone. Was the conversation about his evening plans? Was it a family emergency? Was his wife calling to tell him to stop at the grocery store on the way home? Or was it just that the young man thought he was so important that he could just make everyone else wait while he talked on the phone?

Since Bible study that morning had been about waiting to hear from God, I started thinking about how rude it seemed that one person was requiring three other people to wait on his selfishness. (BTW it apparently was not an emergency because on my return they were playing once again.)
As I contemplated the situation, I realized that there are many people that I make wait on me while I perform very unimportant tasks. Sometimes in my selfishness, I make my husband wait on me. Sometimes it’s my kids and other times friends or even co-workers. But I recognize that I also make God wait for me. Now that might seem like a strange thought, because frequently we feel like we are waiting on God and His timing. 

How often have I made Him wait for me to spend time with Him? How often have I made Him wait on me to be obedient to His will for my life? How often have I made Him wait for me to ask Him for help? How often have I made Him wait for me to thank Him? How often have I made Him wait for me to look up in wonder and awe at His greatness? How often have I made Him wait for me to snuggle into the safety and security of His arms? 

After watching the three young men wait for their friend to get off of the telephone, I was ashamed at my own behavior towards others, but more importantly towards my Heavenly Father who longs for me to come to Him.

Lord, help me not to keep you waiting.

Psalm 95:1-2
Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD;
   let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.
Let us come before him with thanksgiving
   and praise him with music and song.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!