The Help--Sally

My beautiful Sally on the day of my wedding
I went to see The Help last night, so you will be reading about it on my blog for the next couple of days. It brought back memories—some good and some not so good.

I grew up in Jackson, Mississippi in the exact time period of the book/movie. Sally was our “help.”  She was exactly the same age as my mother and they were very close…in fact today my mother admitted that they were like sisters. They laughed together, they cried together and they shared their faith together through their long conversations. 

Sally was a vital part of our family and I believe that I would have been an entirely different person if she had not been a part of my life. She came to work for my family in December of 1951 just a few days after my sister Ginny was born. She was there when I was born. She was there when I started kindergarten. She cried with us when my grandmother died. She was present during my month long hospital stay. She went with me to set up my college dorm room, not because she had too, but because she wanted to be there. She attended my wedding as a guest. Sally worked for us until June of 1973 when my parents moved to Iowa. She continued to be a friend to all of us through the years by visiting my parents in Des Moines, Iowa and Laurel, MS--even sleeping in their guestroom.  She also helped me by babysitting my own children for a brief time when we lived in Jackson. 

I loved Sally and she loved me, not that the words were ever uttered, but we just knew it. Sally carried my picture in her wallet until I went away to college and maybe longer, but that was the last time that she showed it to me.  She had two sons of her own that were just a few years older than me—James E and Baby Junior, but I think she always considered me one of her own too.

My family did not treat her as the families did in the movie, but there were inequalities due to the period of time.  When Sally would stay with Ginny and me when Mother and Daddy were out of town, she would sleep on a cot in the hallway outside of our rooms, snoring up a storm. I always wondered why she didn’t sleep in our guest room. And instead of sitting on the sofa when we were watching TV she would sit in a straight back chair behind the sofa, sewing and chuckling with laughter at the comedies. I don’t think anyone actually told her that she had to sit there, but it was just the way that things were done in those days.

Sally wore a uniform to work, just like in the movie. And she too could make delicious fried chicken and Bundt cakes. When a funeral or a party was held in someone else’s home, Sally was part of the crew of women who were there to assist. Her hands smelled like bleach—maybe that’s why I still love that smell.

My parents always treated Sally with respect and kindness. She was never required to go outside to use the bathroom; instead she used the guest bathroom. If they ever found out that she was in need of anything they were ready, willing and able to help her. It might have been getting her a car, or a house or something for her sons. Perhaps that’s why she used to tell of her dream where my dad, “Mr. Tommy,” was in a helicopter throwing out $100 bills. (She also thought he should run for governor.)

Sally had a hard life. I have often wondered why she died at such a young age, but I now think that it was God’s reward for her faithfulness through the years. Life was not fair for her, but she always remained true to her God. My mother still says that she hopes Sally has the biggest mansion in heaven, because she deserves it for her unwavering gift of service to my family. She was our help, but not like the title and the book suggests. Instead she “helped” shape and mold me into the person I am today. 

Sally, I look forward to the day that I will see you in heaven and am able hug your neck and say, “I love you.”

1Corinthians 13:13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Comments

jm said…
Olga, thanks so much for taking the time to write your feelings down. We also had a Sally as a member of our family, as our help. We loved her dearly. I believe the words you have written will reflect many feelings from those of us raised in the South.
Chip said…
Olga, i saw it yesterday, but Susan could not go. When I returned, she asked me how I liked it. I said it was good, but did not accurately portray how the vast majority of us felt about the ones that were such huge part of our home and upbringing.
The movie made it seem like maybe 95% of us mistreated the "help" with only 5% treating them well. I contend that it was much closer to the reverse of that ratio.
Bertha for Susan and Armilla for me were a huge part of our lives and a significant part of our family. i will not go into the details,but suffice it to say they were very loved and treated well, certainly not anything like portrayed in "The Help".

Lastly, very nicely written.

Chip
Christy said…
Olga, Love your perspective! Tears and smiles at the same time. Thanks so much for sharing. I look forward to your next few blogs. I can't wait to meet your Sally in heaven!
Margaret said…
Mom, I loved the hairs poking through Sally's pantyhose, but mostly I love that she helped mold you into who you are. What a blessing she was to all of you. Wish I could have know Sally better!
Beth said…
I also have sweet memories of Sally when I visited my "City Cousins". She was always so nice to me and I sensed her part in the Wright family. However her uniform always seemed strange to me since Joanna did not wear one at our house. I also loved Joanna. My mother and Daddy always demanded Anne and I have the utmost respect for Joanna including consistently saying yes ma'am to her. I have found as I moved away from the Deep South that our reputation for prejudice is just as evident in all parts of the country. It is sadly the results of a fallen world. I am thankful for the constant life lessons as a child from my parents that we were are all precious in God's eyes. thus prejudice has been one of my lesser srtruggles in life. I am thankful... so I could appreciate and love individuals God put in my life, no matter their worldly status.
Beth you will have to check out the blog later in the week on Elvira and grandmother.

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!