Strangers, Yet Sisters


Have you ever walked into a room of strangers thinking “What am I doing here” or “Why did I come?”

It happened to me recently as I walked into a house full of women I did not know. I was going to hear a friend speak that I met at the She Speaks Conference last summer.  

After almost an hour long drive from my home, I arrived in Breckenridge, CO. Walking hesitantly up to the door of a home nestled in the trees I didn’t know what to expect—Would they accept me? Would they be open to my intruding on their retreat? Would I feel uncomfortable with a group of ladies I had never met? Would they be judging me for only attending one session of the retreat? Would I have anyone to talk to or sit with?

As I peered through the window I noticed that the ladies were having lunch and were deep in conversation. Should I knock or simply walk in and try not to be noticed? I decided on a light knock and then just opened the door, so that maybe I could enter without being a distraction to the lively discussions taking place throughout the room. 

Although I was trying not to cause a commotion, I was immediately surrounded by hospitable women. One was offering me something to drink, another hugging me, someone else just telling me that she was glad I was there. These ladies were genuine, caring, loving and kind. Why had I been so apprehensive about entering a place filled with women who loved the Lord? These people that I had considered strangers just moments earlier were not strangers at all, but sister's in Christ.

The extraordinary lady who owned the mountain escape informed me that when the home was purchased she desired for it to be used for special events for her church, and that it was often inhabited by pastors and others who need rest and refreshment.  You could feel the presence of God upon entering the home. It truly was being used as a refuge for the Lord’s people.

This is what Christian fellowship should always be like--welcoming, refreshing, relaxing, inviting and a place of refuge from the storms of life. So why isn’t it? Could it be that we are too busy thinking of ourselves therefore we fail to notice and minister to those around us. The women from Agape Outpost in Summit County showed me the love of Christ and have inspired me to do the same to others.  What about you? Will you join me is the effort to spread God’s love to others, even strangers?

Ephesians 5:1-2 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!