Give a Gift--Smile


Yesterday as a co-worker passed my desk, he said with a grin, “There she goes again, doing what she does best…smiling.” It was a simple statement that could be taken in several different ways. I could have assumed the negative, and thought to myself, “I must not be very good job at my work if smiling is the best thing I do.” The conversation in my head could have continued with, “You mean my spreadsheets are not my strength? The way I handle an unhappy guest is not my strong suit? My ability to multitask is not an asset to the department?” And on and on I could go.

However, I have learned an important lesson in life and that is to always assume the best. Whether it is a word spoken or an action toward me, I try to look at it from the best perspective possible. Now I really do think that my co-worker meant his statement as a compliment, but even if he hadn’t, my life would be better off assuming that was his purpose. 

I try to smile often because it makes me feel better and I hope it cheers up those around me. Smiling is an easy way that I can show others the joy of the Lord in my life. It is a way of brightening up my little corner of the world. 

Here are several interesting facts about smiles:
  • It takes fewer muscles to smile than to frown
  • Smiles are contagious
  • Smiles are the most easily recognizable facial expression
  • It is a universal sign of happiness recognized in all cultures
  • Smiles actually make us feel better because of the endorphins released
  • Newborns prefer to look at a person who is smiling
  • Smiles make a face more beautiful than makeup
Will you allow the joy of the Lord to radiate through your face to a world that needs to see it?

Psalm 34:5a Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy… (New Living Translation)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!