Are you a daylily or an orchid?


My mother is a master gardener. I don’t mean that she has been certified by the horticulture society, but she loves a beautiful yard and has a talent for growing things which hasn’t diminished over the 86 years of her life. She enjoys gardening so much that she has even been known to say that when she gets to heaven she hopes, God will give her a job in the garden.  On the other hand I did not inherit her green thumb, but I have made an observation about beautiful flowers.

Daylilies are among my mother’s favorite flowers in her garden. She has all different sizes, colors and varieties of the summer time flowers. They bring her great joy as they bloom; she will go out early in the morning to see which ones will be opening for the day and then at dusk she returns to pick off the dead blossoms. It doesn’t seem to bother her that they only last for one day.

There are other flowers that last for a long time. The orchid is one of those that can last for as long as three months. The small delicate blossoms are hearty, yet lovely to behold for a long time. The one in the picture was given to me in September and has remained in bloom until now when the snow is on the ground.

Which would you prefer to be a “flower” that opens and is showy for just a brief time, or do you want to be a “flower” that brings beauty and pleasure for a long period of time?

Since I came to know the Lord at an early age, one of my prayers has been that I would not fall away or fade in my fervor for Him. I want to be someone who loves Him, serves Him and lives for Him for my entire life, not for just a short period. 

James 1: 12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. 

Comments

Greg Brooks said…
OK Olgie, I've been called a thorn, what's you slant on that, you know me pretty well?
I've known a few people who might have called you a thorn, but it's never crossed my mind. Thorns are to protect the flowers around them. Is that what you have been called to do?

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!