Do You Lip Sync?


It was early service and I arrived a few minutes late after the praise and worship music had already started. Since I was by myself I tried to slip quietly into the pew next to one of our good-looking young members. The music at out little church is always outstanding, so I joined in wholeheartedly since I love to sing.


This love of music and singing was instilled in me as a young child by my grandmother who would gather her four granddaughters around her old pump organ and play while we would sing. Some of the favorites were “I Don't Want to Play in Your Yard” and “Bicycle Built for Two.” However the ones that have since become my favorites are the old hymns like “Great Is Thy Faithfulness” and “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.” Grandmother had always hoped that one of her granddaughters would go on to be a solo singer in church, but that was not to be, but we do all still love to sing.


This being said, after the worship on that particular Sunday morning, we were asked to greet those around us, and I stepped over to speak to the man sitting next to me. As he turned, he recognized me and said, “I was wondering who that was with the good voice singing out. I thought we were only supposed to lip sync.” My reply was, “I thought we were supposed to make a joyful noise when singing.”


I thought his statement was a funny one. Does God want us to be silent in our worship or does He want everyone around us to hear our joy? Do you only move your lips or are you so moved in your heart that you can’t help but sing out? Are you afraid to sing out? If so, practice during the week. There is nothing keeping us from worshiping God throughout the week.


Psalm 98:4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!