Still Going Strong

Ninety. The number can seem large or small in different circumstances. If you weight ninety pounds you are considered tiny, but if you have ninety pounds to lose, it may seem may be overwhelming.

Ninety is the number we were celebrating just a few weeks ago on our travels during the holidays. My mother was hitting the milestone that most people never reach. She was ninety years old on December 27th.

When I was younger 90 seem ancient, but many of you will agree that it gets younger every year. My mother is one of the fortunate few who is still able to stay in her home, drive her car and live a productive life. Her social life is full with lunches and dinners with friends and family. Her mind is sharp and clear. Although her body is not what it once was, she still looks great and feels pretty good on most days. And most will laugh when they read that one of her ministry opportunities is visiting the old people at the nursing homes and assisted living facilities in town.
I am so proud of Mother and her accomplishments. It is her faith in our loving Lord that keeps her going as she realizes that He must still have something for her to do if He keeps her around.

These days most people value youth, but I believe that God values those who live a long and faithful life for Him. Thank you Mother for being a great example.
Below are some of my favorite Bible verse that speak of old age. I hope they encourage you too.

Isaiah 46:4 Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
Psalm 92:14-15 They will still bear fruit in old age,
    they will stay fresh and green,
  proclaiming, “The Lord is upright;
    he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”


Proverbs 16:31 Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness.
Psalm 71:18 Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come.

Psalm103:17 But from everlasting to everlasting
    the Lord’s love is with those who fear him,
    and his righteousness with their children’s children—
  with those who keep his covenant
    and remember to obey his precepts.
www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!